THE END DAYS
Examination Of Conscience
- Prayer before Confession
- How to Confess
- Preliminary Considerations
- First Commandment
- Second Commandment
- Third Commandment
- Fourth Commandment
- Fifth And Eighth Commandments
- Sixth And Ninth Commandments
- Seventh And Tenth Commandments
- Prayer For A Good Confession
- A Final Note
- Go Back to The End Days Menu
I. Prayer before
Lord, Grant me light to see myself as Thou dost see me, and the
to be truly and effectively sorry for my sins. O Mary, help me to make
II. How to
Tell the priest the specific kind of sins you have committed and, to
the committed them since your last good confession. You are obliged to
confess only mortal sins, since you can obtain forgiveness for your
venial sins by sacrifices and acts of charity . If you are in doubt
about whether a sin is
mortal or venial, mention your doubt to the confessor. Remember also
confession of venial sins is very helpful for avoiding sin and
advancing toward Heaven.
- Have I ever failed to confess a past serious sin, or have I
disguised or hidden such a sin?
- Have I been guilty of irreverence for this sacrament by failing
examine my conscience carefully?
- Have I failed to do the penance given to me by the priest?
- Have I neglected to receive Holy Communion during Easter time?
- Have I any habits of serious sin to confess first (e.g. impurity
- Have I neglected the knowledge of my faith as taught in the
catechism, such as the Apostles, Creed, the Ten Commandments, the Seven
the Our Father, etc.?
- Have I deliberately doubted or denied any of the teachings of the
- Have I taken part in any non-Catholic worship?
- Am I a member of any non-Catholic religious organization, secret
society or anti-Catholic group?
- Have I practiced any superstitions (such as horoscopes, fortune
telling, Ouija board, etc.)?
- Have I been grasping and avaricious, placing too great Importance
upon material goods and comforts?
- Have I used God's name in vain, as in anger or in joking?
- Have I murmured or complained against God (blasphemy)
- Have I maligned priests or others consecrated to God?
- Have I sworn by God's name falsely or rashly?
- Have I broken a vow made to God?
- Have I missed Mass on Sundays or Holy Days of obligation?
- Have I been late for Mass through my own fault?
- Have I made others miss Mass or be late or Mass?
- Have I done unnecessary servile work on Sunday?
- Have I failed to observe the laws of fast and abstinence?
- Have I been disobedient or disrespectful to my parents, or have I
- Have I shown irreverence to others in positions of authority?
- Have I mistreated my spouse or my children?
- Have I been disobedient or disrespectful to my husband?
- Regarding my children:
- Have I neglected their material needs?
- Have I failed to care for their early baptism (i.e. within four
weeks of birth)?
- Have I failed to care for their proper religious education?
- Have I allowed them to neglect their religious duties?
- Have I allowed them to date/go steady without the prospect of
marriage within the near future?
- Have I failed to supervise the company they keep?
- Have I failed to discipline them when they need it?
- Have I given them a bad example?
- Have I scandalized them by arguing with my spouse in front of
- By cursing or swearing in front of them?
- Have I guarded modesty in the home?
- Have I permitted them to wear immodest clothing (tight jeans,
slacks, dresses sweaters, see-through blouses, short-shorts, revealing
swim suits, etc.)?
- Have I denied their freedom to marry or follow a religious
And Eighth Commandments
- Have I quarrelled with anyone?
- Have I cursed anyone or otherwise wished evil on them?
- Is there anyone with whom I refuse to speak, or against whom I
bear a grudge?
- Have I taken pleasure in anyone's misfortunes?
- Have I lied about anyone (calumny)?
- Have my lies caused them any material or spiritual harm?
- Have I rashly judged anyone (i.e. believed firmly, without
sufficient evidence, that they are guilty of some moral defect or
- Have I injured the good name of another by revealing true but
hidden faults (detraction)?
- Have I been guilty of talebearing, (i.e. reporting something
unfavorable said of someone by another so as to create enmity between
- Have I lent an ear to or encouraged the spreading of scandal
- Have I been jealous or envious of anyone?
- Have I had an abortion or counselled anyone else to do so?
IX. Sixth And
- Have I denied my spouse his or her marriage rights?
- Have I practiced birth control?
- Have I abused my marriage rights in any other way?
- Have I committed adultery or fornication?
- Have I committed any unnatural sin against purity?
- Have I touched or embraced another impurely?
- Have I engaged in prolonged or passionate kissing?
- Have I sinned impurely by myself (self-abuse)?
- Have I entertained or taken pleasure in impure thoughts?
- Have I indulged in lustful desires for anyone?
- Have I willfully indulged in any sexual pleasure whether complete
- Have I been an occasion of sin for others by wearing tight or
otherwise revealing and immodest clothing?
- Have I done anything to provoke or occasion impure thoughts or
desires in others deliberately or through carelessness?
- Have I read indecent literature or looked at bad pictures?
- Have I watched suggestive movies or TV programs or permitted my
children to do so?
- Have I used indecent language or told indecent stories?
- Have I willingly listened to such stories?
- Have I boasted of my sins or taken delight in past sins?
- Have I sinned against chastity in any other way?
(Note Well: Do not be afraid to tell the priest any impure sin you
may have committed. Do not hide or try to disguise any such sin. The
is there to help you and forgive you. Nothing you say will shock him,
do not be afraid, no matter how ashamed you might be.)
X. Seventh And
- Have I stolen anything?
- Have I damaged anyone's property?
- Have I cheated or defrauded others?
- Have I refused or neglected to pay any debts?
- Have I cheated my employer of an honest day's work?
- Have I cheated my employees of their wages?
- Have I refused or neglected to help anyone in urgent need?
- Have I failed to make restitution for my stealing cheating and
frauds? (Ask the priest how to go about this).
- Have I knowingly caused others to sin?
- Have I cooperated in the sins of others?
- Have I sinned by gluttony?
- Have I become drunk?
- Have I used drugs or marijuana?
- Have I indulged in boasting or vainglory?
- Have I received Holy Communion in the state of mortal sin?
- Have I contributed as far as I must to the support of the Church?
- Have I observed the laws of the Church concerning marriage?
- Is there any other sin I can think of and am obliged to confess?
XII. Prayer For
A Good Confession
O My God, by my grievous sins I have crucified again Thy Divine Son
and made Him a mockery. For this I have deserved Thy wrath and made
myself fit for the fires of hell. How ungrateful have I been to Thee as
well, my heavenly Father, Who created me out of nothing, redeemed me by
the precious blood of
Thy Son and sanctified me by Thy holy sacraments and by the Holy Ghost.
Thou hast spared me by Thy mercy, to make this confession. Receive me
as Thy prodigal son and grant me to confess well, that I may begin anew
love Thee with my whole heart and soul, and henceforth to keep Thy
commandments and suffer patiently whatever temporal punishment may
remain. I hope by Thy goodness and power to obtain everlasting life in
Paradise Through Jesus Christ, Our Lord. Amen.
XIII. A Final
Remember to confess your sins with supernatural sorrow for your sins
and with a firm purpose of amendment. Ask your confessor to help you
with any difficulties you have in making a good confession.
Adapted from Examination of Conscience, © The Fatima
Crusader, Summer 1992.
"Who is like unto God?"
Created July 16, 1996.